Pavise with St Andrew’s Cross, anonymous, c. 1474 - c. 1475

Pavise with St Andrew’s Cross, anonymous, c. 1474 - c. 1475

linden, h 105cm × w 60.4cm × d 14.2cm × t 2cm More details

In combat, pavises (oblong shields), were positioned on the ground for cover and also identified their users, probably crossbowmen, on the battlefield: the shield was blazoned with the arms of the ruler or town for which they fought. Here the red St Andrew’s cross, the four gold firesteels, and the black-white flints with red flames form the armorial bearings of the Duke of Burgundy, who ruled over the Netherlands.

On display in room 0.4

Collections with this work

Verzameling van Eduard Plagge

Eduard Plagge

August 26 2019 - 15 works 48 0

Staatkundige geschiedenis van…

Youri Nijboer

February 17 2020 - 11 works 9 0

perfervidly

M. Duchessa

February 20 2020 - 2,588 works 4846 41