Model of the monitor Tijger, R. Napier & Sons, 1868
The monitor is a product of the American Civil War, named after the first ship of this type. The vessel’s characteristic feature was its low deck on which a large central cannon was installed for a maximum field of fire. The Tijger was built for the Royal Netherlands Navy at the Scottish ship-yard Napier & Sons. Monitors were designed to protect river estuaries and other stretches of inland waterways.