Explore the Rijksmuseum, one of the world’s most famous museums. Take a walk through history and discover more than 8,000 masterpieces in this stunning building.
Located at the heart of Amsterdam's Museum Square, the Rijksmuseum is one of the world’s most renowned art museums and a true must-see. Even if you have only little time to spare, a walk through the Gallery of Honour will offer you a glimpse of Dutch’s finest art.
World-class Dutch masterpieces
The Rijksmuseum’s collection illustrates the history of The Netherlands, from the Middle Ages to the present. Don’t miss out on the absolute highlights, like Vermeer’s Milkmaid, Van Gogh’s Self-portrait and Rembrandt’s most well-known painting: the Night Watch. Other must sees: the Gallery of Honour with paintings of Frans Hals, Jan Steen, Vermeer and Rembrandt; a gorgeous collection of Delft Blue pottery ranging from tea sets to vases, and the Cuypers Library, the biggest and oldest art history library in the Netherlands.
Operation Night Watch
![nightwatch] The Night Watch is Rembrandt’s largest (379.5 cm high and 453.5 cm wide!) and most famous painting and is the centrepiece of the Rijksmuseum’s Gallery of Honour. It was painted in 1642 for one of the meeting halls of Amsterdam’s civic guard, a militia company that protected the city. Rembrandt was the first artist to paint a group portrait with the figures in action and telling a story. The captain, dressed in black, is instructing his lieutenant to give the company orders to march. The guardsmen are taking their places. Rembrandt used light to draw our attention to important details, such as the captain’s gesture and the girl in the background.
The Night Watch is currently being examined at its permanent location in the Night Watch Gallery as part of Operation Night Watch. This is the largest and most advanced research ever on Rembrandt's masterpiece. Operation Night Watch happens live in the museum and you can be part of it!
During Operation Night Watch the sculpture gallery behind the Night Watch Gallery will be closed.
- Night Watch, Rembrandt van Rijn’s most famous painting.
- Gallery of Honour with paintings of Frans Hals, Jan Steen, Vermeer and Rembrandt.
- A gorgeous collection of Delft Blue pottery ranging from tea sets to vases.
- Cuypers Library, the biggest and oldest art history library in the Netherlands.
- Unique dolls' houses that provide a detailed view of everyday life in the 17th century.
- Complete collections of miniature silverwork, musical instruments, glass, porcelain, an impressive armoury and a large number of ship models.